SDL Multiterm – Object reference not set to an instance of an object

SDL products often bring various surprises and I cannot say that they are always positive. On Friday, I experienced an error message “Object reference not set to an instance of an object” shown by the SDL Multiterm 2014 Convert and Desktop after long time of smooth operation. I ended up re-installing the software, which was quite useless, as there is an easy and quick fix available that worked for me. Here is what might help you.

Symptom: 

When converting to import into a new or existing termbase, or when working with existing termbase, the following errors are shown by the SDL Multiterm 2014 Convert and Desktop

  • An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line X, position XXX
  • Object reference not set to an instance of an object

mt_e_1

mt_e_2

Fix:

Check your project folder path and see whether it contains any ampersand or semicolon. If this is the case, remove or replace these characters.

The termbase and conversion utility should now work correctly.

This entry was posted in Computer-aided Translation, Software-related. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to SDL Multiterm – Object reference not set to an instance of an object

  1. Caroline Durant says:

    Thanks so much for this! I’ve just found out, from bitter experience, that the folder you use to save the termbase must also not include &

  2. Valery says:

    Thanks a lot. Your advice helped me, 3 things shouldn’t have & and/or semicolon: folder path, folder name and termbase name.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *